But, sometimes I don't want to really make pizza. I am a fan of the TJs refrigerated dough, don't get me wrong. That stuff is legit. And I just experimented with their frozen crusts and those are pretty good too. But still a lot of bread and time to let the dough rise and then bake it and when I get home from work I am ready for pizza right now! What's that about patience being a virtue? I suppose I should work on that!
Enter Trader Joe's whole wheat tortillas. These crisp up in the oven in no time and are the perfect foil for multiple topping options. I just planted a couple tomato plants and can't wait until I have fresh tomatoes to put on my pizza with some summery basil! But, because it's not quite tomato season, I opted for a Mediterranean-style pizza with hummus instead of tomato sauce. I've made a hummus pizza before, but with a different crust. I guess I really like hummus pizza.
I have been obsessed with olives lately. The brininess is just splendid. And perfect on a Mediterranean-style pizza!
10 minutes in the oven and BAM! You've got pizza! Just don't burn yourself trying to eat it too quickly.
Easy Hummus Pizza
*Prep time: 5 minutes
*Cook time: 10 minutes
*Kitchen gear required: Cutting board, bowl, knife, pizza stone or baking sheet, measuring spoons
1 whole-wheat tortilla
2 Tbsp hummus (any flavor! be wild!)
2 Tbsp chopped olives (I used kalamata but the world is your oyster--use your favorite variety)
1 cup chopped kale
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
Ready, set, go!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If using a pizza stone, let it heat up in the oven while you are prepping your pizza.
2. Slather your tortilla with hummus and sprinkle chopped olives.
3. In a small bowl, drizzle olive oil over kale and massage the kale for 30 seconds or until it wilts down a wee bit.
4. Top pizza with kale and transfer to pizza stone or baking sheet
5. Bake for 10 minutes or until tortilla and kale are crisp.
6. Try not to burn yourself eating this thing piping hot from the oven. Trust me, it's tempting!
7. If you are me, and it's Friday night, put your feet up and turn on Netflix and unwind from the busy week!
Question: What are your favorite pizza toppings? I need inspiration for my Friday night favorite!