I wanted to try making a healthy pumpkin pie--vegan and plant-based style. So here we go!
This recipe is simple. And I've taken the crust out of the equation (fewer calories and less fuss) so no rolling pin required!
The base of this pumpkin deliciousness is a can of pumpkin and a box of tofu. I like to use Mori-Nu Lite Firm Silken tofu. (I get mine from Whole Foods, Sprouts or online at Vitacost). And how handy that I still have a zillion cans of pumpkin left to use up!
I am ALL about crumbly oat/nut toppings for desserts. Remember our peach crisp with cashew topping? This is in the same family but I used almond butter to bring everything together. The almonds were a lovely compliment to the spicy pumpkin notes (how's that for some fancy pants cooking lingo!)
I feel that there is a whole world of crisps/custards/pies to be discovered with this new streusel technique--no butter or oil required! Guilt-free desserts? Bring it on.
|Hi there crumbly yummy topping!|
|Pumpkin = Awesomeness|
And because good recipes can't help but benefit from musical accompaniment, here's one for today. Bluegrass/folk/celtic music always strikes a chord with me (no pun intended). Just give me some banjo, fiddle, mandolin and I'll be a happy camper. End of story.
Vegan Pumpkin Custard with Pecan Streusel
*Prep time: 10 minutes
*Cooking time: 60 minutes
*Kitchen gear required: Mixing bowls, spoon, pie plate
1 15-oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix...just regular 'ole pumpkin)
1 pkg Lite Firm Silken Tofu (12.3 oz), drained
1-1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 t. salt
3/4 t. vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 T. almond butter
1/4 cup oats
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
Ready, set, go!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drain tofu, combine with all other custard ingredients and mix with electric mixer for 3 minutes until smooth (there will still be some flecks of tofu but that's ok!)
2. Pour into pie plate and bake for 45 minutes.
3. While pie is baking, combine pecans, oats, salt and cinnamon in small bowl.
4. Add almond butter and using clean hands mash up until everything is combined and lovely.
5. After pie has baked for 45 minutes, add streusel topping and bake for additional 15 minutes.